Over the past two seasons Youri Zoon redefined powered kiting. He was rewarded for his hard work with two consecutive PKRA world titles. To maintain a high level for so long is very hard; we asked Youri how he was preparing for the upcoming season and what it will take for a three-peat.
Name: Youri Zoon
Sponsors: Bestkiteboarding,Brunotti, Javra software,Mysticboarding, Koraal.org, Joya.
Where you live: Around the world
Instagram: Youri zoon
Video of Youri at the PKRA Germany 2012
1. Where did you train over the winter and why?
This year I decided to return to Capetown, south Africa. I really love this place! because besides kiteboarding there is so much more to do. The lifestyle is very good and there are several different conditions to train in!
2. What was your focus in training, specific moves, style, recovering from injury?
It has mostly been improving my riding again! Get stronger and be more fit than the other years! As well I signed with a new sponser Best kiteboarding, so I had to get used to the kites and work with the designers on new products.
3. Did you do any cross training, conditioning, surf, snowboard, etc…how does it help your kiting.
I surf as well here in Capetown, but I have been going to the gym quite a bit as well to make my knees stronger!
4. What PKRA destinations are you looking forward to in 2013 and why?
Looking forward to The Last two PKRA events of the year Australia and South Africa, still far way, but I think those would be very exciting, because of the conditions and they are new stops on the tour.
5. Which rider do you think will make an entry into the top 10(if you why).
I hope me hahah! I guess there are a couple riders out there but I am not sure who it is exactly mostly after the 1st tour stop I have a better view about that! But it’s not about who is the best rider in the top but also about the person behind the results.
6. What moves/style/execution/power will be the biggest factor for you in 2013 in winning your heats?
For me it will be power and technical difficulty, if you can combine these two elements which each other and of course your own style, that should be good enough for a good spot in the top.
7. Why do you come on the PKRA?
To become world champion and now back again to defend my title!
8. Are you thinking of doing any crossover into Slalom, to do both disciplines at the events?
No my main focus is on Freestyle , maybe in the future but at the moment I am not thinking about slalom.
9. What are your personal goals for 2013 in kiting, life and business? How does the PKRA fit in?
For kiting it is to become a bigger name in the sport and to defend my world title.
For my life I want to work more on my future, looking ahead since I won’t be doing this forever on a professional level.
10. What is the kite magazine of your Native country and favorite website for kiting news?
We have 2 big magazine's in Holland wich are Acces and kitesurf magazine. On the internet www.hanglos.nl and www.kitehigh.nl are big.